The Pioneer Village


The Pioneer Village


The Pennington County Historical Society, which was organized in the 1930s, is responsible for maintaining the Peder Engelstad Pioneer Village. Officially opened in 1976, the museum and village provide a living history ofThief River Falls. From its early years as a rural community, to later years when Thief River Falls became an important regional economic hub, the city has grown and prospered.

Peder EngelstPioneer Carad Pioneer Village, named after a local Norwegian immigrant, consists of 19 buildings with over 25,000 individual items on display. Buildings include seven late-1800s log houses; a Swedish Lutheran church, built in 1916; two railroad building depots and two cabooses; a one-room schoolhouse dating back to 1908; five original stores (including a blacksmith shop, general store, and beauty and barber shops); a restored two-story home; a large farm and auto machinery building; and a museum.

The museum and buildings are open to the public Memorial Day through Labor Day with guided tours available. Check our Events Calendar for a schedule of special activities at the Village.



Peder Engelstad Pioneer Village

Hours:The Village is open Memorial Day through Labor Day. Every day from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.
Phone: 218-681-5767
Visit their website
Peder Engelstad Pioneer Village
825 Oakland Park Road
Thief River Falls, Minnesota 56701
The village has 19 buildings, including a museum, Victorian house, 2 railroad depots, schoolhouse, church, blacksmith shop, machinery and automobile building, and 7 log houses. Admission is $5 per...
Map of Peder Engelstad Pioneer Village
(Placement on map is approximate)


Go Back